Jul 12, 2009

A Sacred Ordinance


I had an interesting experience at church today as I sat in the foyer during the last hour of classes. A mother from my ward sat in one of the chairs holding their baby. The father came and brought one of their other children out. I assumed that he was misbehaving in primary and had to come sit with his mom. But one-by-one the father brought the other children out as well.

They all stood reverently in the corner waiting. I watched, curious what they were doing. Another ward's sacrament meeting had started and it was time for the sacrament to be passed. Soon a deacon from that ward came out into the foyer to pass the sacrament. Each member of this family took the sacrament and then as soon as the water had been passed, the parents hugged each of the children and they scattered, going back to their own classes.

I was amazed. Apparently the family had missed taking the sacrament in our ward so had gathered to take it with the ward following ours. I was very impressed at the message those parents were sending their children about the importance of the sacrament. I know often I'm guilty of taking the ordinance of the sacrament too lightly and it was a great reminder of it's sacred nature.

These parents don't know that they profoundly affected me, but they did. Next week when the sacrament is passed, I think I'll look at it a little bit differently than I did today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This a beautiful story, Kim! I wonder how often I have taken it for granted too. Me thinks I shall look at it differently this Sunday. =]

Concord Carpenter said...

Really nice post. I have enjoyed checking out your blog and really like what you have to say.

I'm following!

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...