Creating Altered Art picture frames is a great way to use up patterned scrapbook paper and miscellaneous embellishments leftover from other projects. The fabulous thing about altering your own frames is you can match your decor, or the theme of your picture.
The first thing you need to consider is the type of frame. Choose frames with a nice flat surface so it's easier to adhere the paper. I generally use wood frames, but you can use any type. If your frame has a slick surface, just rough it up with some sandpaper to create a more adhesive surface.
Follow these easy steps to cover your frame:
1) Place the paper patterned side down, then lay the frame face down on top of the paper. Trace around the frame opening and outside edges.
2) Use Scissors to cut frame shape from paper. It's better to leave a little extra paper. We'll use sandpaper later to trim it down.
3) Use a foam paintbrush to apply an even coat of Mod Podge to the front of the frame.
4) Place paper onto Mod Podged frame. Smooth away bubbles with fingers.
5) If necessary, trim the edges of paper as close as possible to the edge of the frame, then use sandpaper to sand the remaining rough or uneven edges.
6) With the foam brush, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge. Be sure to get along the edges of the paper.
7) If desired, you can paint the back and edges of the frame in a coordinating color.
8) Embellish the frame with ribbon, metal embellishments, flowers, stickers, rubons, stamps, etc. This is the fun part. Use your imagination!
The frame on the right was created by painting the frame white first and then cutting out small squares of coordinating papers and laying them in a pattern on the frame.
You can use these same techniques to cover any solid object. Covering wooden letters is a popular, fun way to decorate your child's room.
Use your imagination. You can create unique frames that make perfect gifts. It's even simple enough for children to do and makes a great Christmas gift for Grandpa & Grandma.
Return to the Neighborhood.
Storymakers 2nd Annual Midwest Writers Conference - *Date:* Saturday, Sept. 21st, 2013 *Time:* 8 am – 9 pm *Location:* Holiday Inn (8787 Reeder Road, Overland Park, KS Phone: 913-888-8440) Hotel rooms are av...