Oct 27, 2008

Happy Halloween

Double double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
~William Shakespeare


You can definitely feel fall in the air. It's one of my favorite times of year. I love the cool crisp mornings, leaves changing colors, and the chance to pull out all my long sleeve clothes I put away in the spring. Halloween is probably my favorite event to scrapbook. There are tons of bright fun embellishments and unique patterned papers. I've even been guilty of dressing my kids in costumes to match a particular page layout I had in mind.

You can't go wrong with the traditional orange and black for Halloween. Spider webs and jack-o-lanterns will never go out of style, but don't overlook other Halloween ideas.

Silver, gray, black, blue, and white can convey a sense of mystery, of light in darkness. Black and white pictures are ideal for this sort of layout, but even color pictures of kids in costumes can benefit from these more mystical themes.

The beautiful fall colors of gold, brown, burgundy, red, and deep forest greens can show that the earth is turning away from the vivid colors of summer into colors more suited to short, cold days, and long cozy nights. Halloween is a symbol for this transition, and either of those color schemes can illustrate that transition.

Below I've listed a few prompts to get you thinking of Halloween page ideas you may not have considered:

  • A list of the treats you gave out.
  • Pictures while decorating for Halloween.
  • Pumpkin carving pictures.
  • Sneaking fall treats to the neighbors.
  • Halloween party invitations you sent.
  • Wrappers from your favorite treats.
  • Recipe and pictures of your favorite traditional Halloween dinner.

    I thought I'd share the recipe with you that we make every Halloween. It's fun, because it's served in a pumpkin.

    Meal-in-a-Pumpkin

    1 Onion
    1 ½ lbs. Hamburger
    2 T. Soy Sauce
    2 T. Brown Sugar
    1 Can Mushrooms
    1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
    1 Cup Cooked Rice
    1 Can Water Chestnuts
    1 Medium Sized Sugar Pumpkin

    Brown hamburger and onion together. Add the rest of the indredients. Spoon into a pumpkin that has been cleaned out. Be sure to save the lid to put back on. Bake for one hour at 350 degrees. Sometimes bigger pumpkins will take longer. If the pumpkin is small enough and you don't have an hour to bake it, you can partially cook the pumpkin in the microwave before filling it. Serve straight from the pumpkin scooping the pumpkin flesh out with the casserole.

    Another fun idea for your scrapbook pages is to use Halloween quotes, poems, or phrases to add titles or journaling. Here are a few ideas for page titles:



    Spooktacular
    Bootiful
    Too Cute to Spook
    Eat, Drink, and Be Scary
    Ghosts Night Out
    I Want My Mummy
    Our Little Pumpkin
    Cutest Pumpkin in the Patch

    Have a fun and safe Halloween. If you create a fun Halloween layout, send them to me and I'll post them on my blog

    Return to the Neighborhood.

  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    I LOVE Comments!!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...