Oct 5, 2008

Conference Musings

I realized as I drove down State Street yesterday what a unique area I live in. It's comforting to know I'm surrounded by other members of the church. It was 2:00 in the afternoon and conference had just started. I stopped at a red light and looked around while waiting for the light to change. On the radio conference played. It was at the point where they were sustaining officers of the Church. President Eyring called for a sustaining vote by the raise of the right hand. In both cars beside me, the drivers raised their hands. I smiled to myself, thinking how cool it was that although we were all apparently out on errands, we had something in common and were all listening to conference.

At the next red light, I looked over as well. On the radio, conference was in the middle of a hymn. A little girl in the van next to me, was enthusiastically swinging her arms in time to the music as if she were leading the music.

I've felt the same unique privileges of church membership during a recent move. If you are a member of the Church, no matter where you move, you immediately have a ward family consisting of brothers and sisters who already love you, and are already there to support and help you. I can't imagine not being a member of the Church and moving to a place where I knew no one. It sounds lonely.

Each time I know conference is coming, I evaluate my life and decide on an issue in I'm needing particular help with. This year was no different. I came to conference with a burning question in my mind, having prayed about it, and hoping to receive an answer. I wasn't disappointed.

As soon as President Monson said he was going to talk about change, I knew this was it. Change is not easy for me. I generally put things off, avoiding change, until there is no other choice. He said, "Most changes take place subtly and slowly." That kind of change I'm okay with. It's the kind where I have to make a decision about something that will greatly affect a change in my life, that I struggle with.

He also said, "Time doesn't stand still. Find joy in the journey. Learn lessons about what is important and what is not. Don’t miss out on life now." I've been extremely busy lately, working several jobs and feeling spread too thin to do any of it well. I feel like I'm definitely missing out on life and what's important.

President Monson continued, "Deal with stresses in life the best you can, but don’t let them get in the way of what’s most important. What’s most important involves the people around us. Don’t assume they know you love them." That was my answer. I need to make an important change that won't be easy, but will hopefully affect my life and the lives of those I love for the better.

It's amazing to receive personal revelation from a loving Heavenly Father through the voice of his servants. I feel like it's a great privilege every year at conference time that I can gather my family together and listen to instructions from the Lord's servants. I hope you enjoyed conference as much as I did, and that you're ready to make the changes necessary in your own life.

Remember President Monson's parting words: "Adapt to changes in our lives, realize what is most important, express gratitude always, and find joy in the journey."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...