Mar 6, 2010

Progress, not perfection--right??

Most of you already know that I recently got remarried, and that my husband and I combined our families, now totalling ten children.  Yep!  Ten.  Am I crazy?  Yeah, pretty much.

It's definitely had some challenges.  Our children come from very different backgrounds, so putting them together has been interesting--to say the least.  Some days we wonder if we are going to make it.  It finally seems like they are all getting along, then something happens and they each return to their own camps and it becomes the Thompson's vs. the Jobs.

Occasionally, we see glimpses of progress, and cheer silently inside.  Almost every day my 17 year old daughter helps her younger step-brother with his homework, and my son always wants to know if "the boys" are coming over.  The two 8 year olds have made up games that are theirs alone, and even the 16 year old when asked about one of his new step-brothers said, "Yep, that's my brother."  My heart melts when they all get along and we start to feel like a "real" family. 

Today was one of those occurrences.  Our youngest daughter got a large whiteboard for Christmas and today I found this note on it to her, from one of her step-brothers.


Isn't that cute?  It made me smile. 

It's things like this that make me think we just might make it.  I just keep reminding myself that it's progress, not perfection that we are after.  Most of the time, I'm grateful for the opportunity I have to be "Mom" to so many amazing wonderful children. 






FacebookRSSTwitter

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that just melts my heart! And what a great way of seeing life. "Progress, not perfection."

Crystal Cook said...

Love the white board note! And progress instead of perfection is a key lesson I need to keep reminding myself of.

Mary Gray said...

What a wonderful family you've brought together. I'm sorry for the hard days but notes like that make it better, huh.

Carolyn V. said...

That is so sweet! I love that you say, "progress not perfection." I think we all need that reminder from time to time. Thanks Kim. =)

Keith N Fisher said...

Ahh, I bet Emily loved it. Great job you guys.

lisa and laura said...

Oh my gosh, 10 kids!!! I'm impressed! And how amazing to be able to watch your family turn into a family. Very cool.

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...