Mar 13, 2010

Tears of Heaven by Jewel Adams


I have always admired Jewel Adams from afar.  She is classy and elegant, but totally friendly and willing to offer her help to new writers. When I heard about her latest release, I jumped at the opportunity to read and review her novella, Tears of Heaven

J. (Jewel) Adams was born and raised in Asheville, North Carolina. Her hard childhood spurred her imagination and later on those imaginings fueled her love for writing.

She moved to Utah in 1989 and started writing seriously a few years later.

She is a wife and the mother of eight children. When she is not home schooling her children or writing, she loves to curl up with a box of chocolates and read, her favorite books being romance and fantasy novels.

She frequently speak to youth and adult audiences. She has a great love for the youth and because of her own painful childhood, she is always anxiously engaged in helping them to understand how marvelous and special they are.

She also loves doing signings and meeting new people. Jewel and her family live in West Point, Utah. She loves hearing from her fans.

About the Book:
Escaping from an abusive relationship, Heaven Gundersen flees to the safety of her grandparent's home and begins a new life in Sweden, praying the past is behind her. When she accepts the housekeeping job arranged by her grandparents, she has no idea how much it will change his life. Her boss, Sergei Petrenko, is a retired hockey player, and definitely not what she had expected.

No matter how hard she tries to guard her heart, Sergei's kindness makes it impossible to do and she once again opens up to love.  But leaving the past behind isn't as easy as she hoped it would be, and the peace she has found in her new life is about to be shattered by the nightmare she thought she'd escaped.

Tears of Heaven is the new emotionally charged novella by Jewel Adams that will touch your heart and make you cheer the endurance of the human spirit.
Tears of Heaven was a very interesting read for me.  My new book, I'll Know You by Heart, deals with the same subject matter of abuse and trying to move on, so it was interesting to see how another author presented it.  Jewel does a marvelous job of portraying the feelings of fear and lack of control that abuse victims experience.

Throughout the story, we see a lot of internal thoughts and feelings from the main character, Heaven.  It added depth to the story, and made me, as a reader, experience the same emotions she felt.  I was afraid when she was, and I felt the relief and happiness when the ever-present fear was finally behind her.   Jewel is a master at evoking emotions through her words.  The scenes between the two main characters tugged at my heart, and made me smile. 

The concept of a novella is new to me. My life is busy, so I loved the fact that I could read the story in one sitting. In my opinion, the drawback to a novella is that I had just learned to love the characters, and the story was over.  If you are in the mood for a fast-paced story full of suspense, but with a feel good ending, I highly recommend Tears of Heaven.

To learn more about Jewel, and to purchase her books you can visit her website and blog.  You can even download some of her books for free, so be sure to check it out.






FacebookRSSTwitter

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read many novella's either but I think I'll have to read this one.

Keith N Fisher said...

nice job Kim.

Mary E Campbell said...

Thank you for the review - I love finding out about Utah writers.

Jenni James said...

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on this one! It sounds awesome!

Jenni

Autumn said...

Jewel is a sweetheart. :)

Her one sitting book suits busy mom like me- so I'm interested to see how a whole story can fit into a small book.

Congrats, Jewel! And I loved reading more of your background, Jewel. Good job, Kim.

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...